A Benton man was arrested this week in Caddo Parish for home improvement fraud, said Sheriff Steve Prator.
In July, Myles Cavazos, 28, contracted a residential home improvement job for $10,000 without proper licensing through the state of Louisiana. The victim paid the entire amount with one check, which Cavazos cashed. Cavazos completed some of the work then eventually stopped and took another job out of state.
Cavazos was arrested by Sheriff’s Det. Casey Jones on one count of home improvement fraud. He was booked into the Caddo Correctional Center on Wednesday.
For questions regarding this press release, please contact Cindy Chadwick at (318) 681-0666
HomeAdvisor.com suggests taking the following steps to protect yourself for home improvement fraud including:
- Take the time to think through your decisions. Don’t allow anyone to rush you into a deal or contract.
- Keep it local.
- Always get a written contract.
- Shop around and receive more than one estimate. Also, ask trusted friends to review options.
- Ask for references.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau for ratings and any complaints against them.
- Verify their license and that they are insured.